The Creed



The Creed - Hand of God (Oil on Canvas about 3' across, St. John Lutheran Church, Napoleon, OH)

This is a painting that I did a few years ago for a class called "Teaching the Catechism with Luther." It's certainly more a didactic piece that was designed as a proposal for catechetical instruction. Any illustration of the Trinity is flawed, so please don't read too deeply into this metaphorical and didactic piece. At any rate, after reading Luther's Large Catechism, I came to the realization that Luther is intent to show us God's action for us in each article of the Creed. I thought that hands could show, or embody, God's open hands to us that receive us and give and sustain us with his good gifts. In addition, the theme could go through a series of working out the other chief parts of the catechism as a play on it being an Enchiridion or "handbook" to be carried with us. I'm inspired to know my catechism by these words of Luther,

“I am a doctor and a preacher, just as learned and experienced as all of them who are so high and mighty. Nevertheless, each morning, and whenever else I have time, I do as a child who is being taught the catechism and I read and recite word for word the Lord’s Prayer, the Ten Commandments, the Creed, the Psalms, etc. I must still read and study the catechism daily and yet I cannot master it as I wish, but must remain a child and pupil of the catechism—and I do so gladly.” (Preface to LC)

By what Luther lists here as the Catechism, it's important to note that this is not just a "Lutheran" take on Christianity. The Catechism simply shows us the fundamental framework of Christianity taken straight from the Bible itself.

***If anyone teaching confirmation wants to use this image, please feel free to do so. I can also give you the whole assignment to fill out the thought behind each panel.

Popular Posts