Getting Gothic

Lantern at Concordia Seminary (Graphite, 2008)
Luther Tower (Graphite, 2008)

I have a few drawings here that I did when I had some time off from seminary before I went to Brazil. I wish that I had more time to do drawings like these. (It probably took me about 5-6 hours total for the lantern and somewhat less for the Tower.) Some may not like Gothic architecture (I wasn't previously a fan, per se. Afterall, the first use of the term was pejorative). For some, it only reinforces their prior conclusions that the Church wants to exercise its power and dominance. However, I grew to love it as I studied at the seminary. For a visually minded person like myself, I have to say that it had an effect on my theological formation. I know this might sound weird to a few and perhaps some fellow students don't think that it affected them at all or they thought it was ugly. That being said, there is a certain amount of reverence that it evokes in me. It shaped me to realize the importance of the work that I was doing there several times. There is a certain amount of intricate and yet strong beauty to it that I cannot fully put into words. These images have been and will be connected to my study of theology. It is not something that I can get away from. The spaces that we inhabit have and influence, at the very least the posture to, our theology. They have an influence in shaping our imagination.

Overall, I think it is a good thing. It keeps me from becoming a Gnostic who believes this creation is something to escape. Through education in the midst of this Gothic architecture, I came away with an understanding that the study of theology is a humbling practice and not something to be undertaken lightly. I have a majestic God. O, that we all might have the mind of Christ to humble ourselves before him. Hence, to see it as mere triumphalism, extravagance for extravagance's sake, or some attempt at ecclesial dominance is to miss the point of Gothic architecture. Those are some of the benefits that were apparent to me as I look back. Perhaps you might think otherwise or think it indifferent. At any rate, God has given us the gift of sight. I pray that His Word shape me to see, not with my point of view, but His.

Popular Posts