"As a hen gathers her brood ..." | Second Sunday in Lent | Bible Verse Graphic

 

Luke 13:31–35 | 2nd Sunday in Lent

31 At that very hour some Pharisees came and said to him, “Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you.” 32 And he said to them, “Go and tell that fox, ‘Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow, and the third day I finish my course. 33 Nevertheless, I must go on my way today and tomorrow and the day following, for it cannot be that a prophet should perish away from Jerusalem.’ 34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! 35 Behold, your house is forsaken. And I tell you, you will not see me until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!’ ” (ESV)


Commentary

In both our Old Testament and Gospel readings this week, the Lord’s word is not the one that His people wanted to hear. His word of judgment was necessarily the one that they need to hear. As Jesus shows us in our Gospel reading, the pronouncement of the Lord’s judgment comes from a heart of compassion. He desires people repent and live! Christ is compassion toward the sinner in order that he or she might live. He spread out his arms upon the cross, for our forgiveness, in order to draw people into His protective care.

Image: A more simple reworking of a free photograph from Pexels with the text from the Gospel reading this week. It was good to be able to find a photo of a hen beginning to spread its wings with her chicks. I also slightly emphasized "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem" going from larger to smaller to give the sense of a sigh and lament.


Popular Posts